Friday, August 6, 2010

A few of my favorite recipes...

One of my goals when we moved to Missouri was to be better at updating my food blog. I always take photos of what I make, but they never make it anywhere but in my computer files. So....here's to being a better blogger! I thought I would post some of my favorite recipes (that I have photos to go along with) to share with everyone!

Chicken and Cheddar Chowder


Junior League of Grand Rapids Cookbook
Serves: 6
Ingredients:
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1 cup water
• 2 small unpeeled russet potatoes, finely chopped
• ½ cup finely chopped carrots (I used closer to 1 cup)
• ½ cup finely chopped celery (I used closer to 1 cup)
• ¼ cup chopped shallots
• 1 tablespoon salt
• ½ teaspoon finely ground pepper
• 1 cup fresh corn (I used frozen)
• ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
• ¼ cup flour
• 2 cups milk
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white Cheddar cheese (I used all sharp Cheddar)
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
• 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
• Shredded cheese

Directions:

Bring the chicken stock and water to a boil in a large stockpot. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, shallots, salt and pepper and boil, covered for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in the corn and let stand, covered.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour until of a smooth paste consistency. Add the milk, gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.

Remove from the heat and add the cheeses, stirring until melted. Add the cheese sauce to the corn mixture. Add the chicken and mix well. Cook over medium heat until very warm. Do not boil. Ladle into soup bowls and top with the green onions, bacon, and additional shredded cheese.


Blood Orange Cupcakes with Blood Orange Frosting

These cupcakes are to die for! I can't get enough of them when I have them in the house. I used the cupcakes recipe freom Chez Us here and Magnolia Bakery's butter cream frosting here. I just substituted the blood orange juice for some of the milk and zested the blood orange into the frosting.

Triple Sec Fruit Salad

My mother is very fond of this recipe, and I often re-create it here at home. I have no idea where she got the idea, but it's super simple!

Ingredients:
4 oranges (and/or blood oranges if you can find them!)
2 grapefruit
1 starfruit
4 kiwi
1/4 cup triple sec
2T sugar

1. Segment the oranges and grapefruits like this and place in a medium size bowl. Squeeze out any remaining juice from the flesh of the fruit before throwing it away. Skin the kiwi and slice adding to the bowl. Slice the starfruit and add it to the bowl as well. Sprinkle the sugar over the fruit and then add the triple sec. Stir and serve. Can also be refrigerated overnight. This only increases the flavors!


I like to make this when we have company staying with us because I can make it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning!

Panko-Crusted Eggplant Parmesan (Courtesy of Put a Lyd on it)
I found this recipe while flipping through an issue of Family Circle. I was really worried it wouldn't have much flavor, but it's wonderful!


Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa
I recently purchased a copy of Pampered Chef's 29 Minutes to Dinner and I was surprised how many great recipes it had in it. This is one we've made a few times!


Serves 4
Ingredients:

Pineapple Salsa
• 1/2 medium pineapple
• 1/4 small red onion
• 1 serrano pepper
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 lime

 Tilapia
• 1 packet taco seasoning (1.25 oz) (I like the low sodium version or sometimes I make my own)
• 3 Tbsp Garlic Oil or olive oil
• 4 boneless skinless tilapia fillets (about 4 oz each)

1. Heat Grill Pan over medium heat 5 minutes. As pan heats, using Santuko Knife, peel pineapple half; cut lengthwise into two pieces and remove core. Slice each pineapple piece lengthwise into three strips. Arrange strips in a single layer over Grill Pan; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Set aside on Cutting Board.

2. While pineapple cooks, chop onion. Cut serano pepper lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Chop serrano pepper and cilantri. Combine onion, serrano peppers, cilantro and salt in Small Batter Bowl. Zest lime using Microplane Adjustable Grater to measure 1 tsp zest. Juice lime to measure 1 Tbsp juice. Add zest and juice to batter bowl; mix well.

3. Whisk taco seasoning and oil in Stainless Mixing Bowl. Add tilapia to coat. Place two tilapia fillets onto Grill Pan. Cook 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn tilapia over using Jumbo Slotted Turner; cook 2 minutes or until tilapia flakes easily with a fork. Remove tilapia from pan. Wipe out pan and repeat with remaining fillets.

4. As tilapia cooks, chop pineapple and add to onion mixture in batter bowl; mix well. To serve, top tilapia with pineapple salsa.

I have been getting Martha Stewart's Every Day Food Magazine for many years now, and I love it. She has so many easy, flavorful recipes! This is one we love to make when the corn shows up in the summer!

Enjoy!

No comments: